HITCHAM PARISH CLERK AND RESPONSIBLE FINANCIAL OFFICER
Hitcham is a rural village of approximately 550 Electors with a precept of £8,480. Its proactive, friendly, Parish Council of 7 is looking for a self-motivated person who has good organisational, numeracy, communication and IT skills to be their next parish clerk. A background in accounts or finance would be beneficial but is not essential as training will be provided by SALC. The role is home based with flexible working hours.
The successful candidate’s responsibilities include:
- Acting as the first point of contact for the council, dealing with correspondence both email and hardcopy and ensuring it is circulated as necessary.
- Organising and attending all Parish Council Meetings. Preparing agendas in consultation with the chairman and taking and distributing minutes.
- Advising the Council on regulations and procedures.
- Working with the chairman to ensure council decisions made at the meetings are implemented.
- Ensuring Parish Council Policies are reviewed regularly
- Ensuring Planning Applications are considered and responses are submitted to Babergh District Council by return deadlines
- Ensuring other key deadlines are met such as submission for audits, CIL, renewal of insurance and risk assessments.
- Preparing and maintaining spreadsheets supporting the Councils payments and ongoing budget
- Preparing cheques and financial records to support council payments, including the Clerks wages.
- Maintaining the Asset Register
- Preparing the Annual Budget Review and Precept
- Completing the End of Year Accounts and Annual Return including any VAT reclaim
- Ensuring the Parish Council webpage on the Hitcham Village web site is kept up to date along with noticeboards, documents and files.
- Complying with Data Protection
Hitcham Parish Council meetings are held bi monthly in Hitcham Village Hall at 7.30pm on the third Monday of the month. The Annual Parish Council Meeting and Annual Parish Meetings are normally held in May
This is an interesting and responsible role that would suit someone who wants flexibility in when they work and perhaps is looking to either return to the work place or take a step back from a full time career.
Training and support will be given to the successful candidate along with a comprehensive hand over with the retiring clerk.
A commencing salary of £2115/yr (equating to approximately 156 hrs (average 3hrs per week) at SCP13 (£13.55/hour) plus expenses.
To apply please follow this link and email your CV with a covering letter detailing your relevant skills and experience to the Chair and Clerk.
Closing date: 27 October 2023. Interview date to be arranged following the closing date